Reporting Matters to the Police

Reporting Matters to the Police

A person can report a sexual assault at any time to the police. It doesn’t matter how long ago it happened.

To contact the police, dial the non-emergency, 24/7 number :101. You need to ask for the child protection unit in the town or city where the assaults happened.

All police forces have a child protection unit. The police in the unit will usually have had specialist training and speak to people in specialist suites. An initial report will be taken. Specialist detectives may investigate. The police will explain every step to you.

Deborah Corcoran is a solicitor in Goodlaw’s abuse department. Deborah has over 22 years’ experience representing survivors of abuse. She recognises how difficult it can be for some people to report offences to the police, especially if they occurred many years ago. Deborah can provide help and advice for survivors reporting matters to the police for the first time.

By Published On: February 23rd, 2022Categories: Resources

Send a message

If you need legal advice please contact one of our team by completing the form below.

"*" indicates required fields

Select your closest GoodLaw office.
Please choose the department you would like to speak to.
Used for sending email to the right solicitor depending on custom_field
Privacy Checkbox*
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
I am happy for you to contact me with the details provided. Privacy Policy