Financial Support to be provided to victims fleeing domestic abuse

The Home Secretary Suella Braverman has announced that victims fleeing domestic abuse will be able to apply for direct payments to help them leave relationships.

Victims fleeing domestic abuse to receive government support

It is a common problem that victims of domestic abuse often feel trapped and unable to leave abusive relationships. This is usually a result of isolation and financial control where victims feel they have no one to turn to for support, or that they would not be able to support themselves and their children financially if they were to leave. 

This new initiative announced by the Home Secretary is a trial scheme implemented under the Government’s ‘Tackling Domestic Abuse Plan’. It will see victims receive a one-off payment of either £250 as a single person or £500 if they have children and will be available to claim through Women’s Aid

Whilst this is not a significant amount of money and not something that could support victims financially long-term, this money may be the difference to allow someone to buy a train ticket or get a taxi away with the children and seek refuge with family or in a domestic abuse shelter. It provides a starting point where there may be no other options and is a welcomed initiative which hopefully remains in place long-term. 

What protection can I receive from the Court if I am a victim of domestic abuse?

If you are a victim of domestic abuse and require protection, you can apply for a Non-Molestation Order under the Family Law Act 1996. 

A Non-Molestation Order is a protective injunction to protect you from “molestation”. This can range from:

  • Physical abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Coercive and controlling behaviour
  • Intimidation
  • Harassment
  • Threats of violence

The purpose of a Non-Molestation Order is to prevent someone from undertaking abusive behaviours similar to those outlined above.

For example, the Order may prevent the other person from being violent or threatening violence towards you, contacting you directly or indirectly or going within 100 meters of your house and work. This is just an example and the orders can range depending on what you need. 

A Non-Molestation Order can only be made against an “associated person” which means that you and the other party must have been associated or related to each other, usually this is a spouse, ex-partner or a family member. 

A Non-Molestation Order carries an automatic power of arrest, which means that if the other party in your case were to breach the order then they would be arrested by the police and it is a criminal offence. 

How can GoodLaw help?

At GoodLaw Solicitors LLP we offer free 30-minute consultations in qualifying circumstances and can assist in applying for Non-Molestation Orders to protect victims of domestic abuse. We can also help you find shelter from your abuser in Sussex and Surrey as we have close relationships with several local charities.

Get in touch today at 01273 956 270 or by emailing [email protected] 

Find out more about the Government initiative and how to apply here: Victims fleeing domestic abuse given lifeline payments - GOV.UK (

By Published On: April 17th, 2023Categories: Insights

Send a message

If you need legal advice please contact one of our team by completing the form below.

"*" indicates required fields

Select your closest GoodLaw office.
Please choose the department you would like to speak to.
Used for sending email to the right solicitor depending on custom_field
Privacy Checkbox*
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
I am happy for you to contact me with the details provided. Privacy Policy